its fall and tis the season for apple picking! i came across this article today by http://www.thekitchn.com and it made me think about what i do with my apple peels! here are their suggestions:
1. Make jelly: Any apple peels will do, but red colored ones make an especially lovely jelly. The Recipe Link has a recipe that calls for added pectin, while Craftster has one that simply uses peels and cores.
2. Brew tea: Pink tea! We can’t wait to try this recipe from Finding Joy in My Kitchen.
3. Add to oatmeal: Store peels in the freezer and add them to simmering oatmeal along with raisins and cinnamon. For a finer texture, process the peels in a blender first.
4. Add to smoothies: Throw some frozen apple peels into a smoothie for extra fiber.
5. Clean aluminum cookware: According to DIY Network, the acid in apple peels can remove stains and discoloration from aluminum pots and pans. Fill the pan with water, add apple peels, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
here are some of my own suggestions:
- start a compost!
- add them to a salad.
- make them into a crunchy snack: place on parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. bake them at the lowest temperature for a couple of minutes until they start to curl. NOM NOM!